Monday, February 21, 2011

My Shrimp Gumbo Creation

Last night I made a Shrimp Gumbo creation. I just threw a bunch of stuff together and it turned out WONDERFUL. Let's call it "Ashley's Shrimp Gumbo." We are even having leftover's tonight. I know the picture doesn't do the Gumbo justice but it was delicious.


INGREDIENTS:

1 lb Shrimp- about 15 or so. (we used fresh shrimp via Mr. Hunnicutt    and it really makes a difference)
1 quart fresh stewed tomatoes (via Sam's garden which also makes a huge difference)
2 small cans tomato paste
1 bushel fresh Okra- about 15-20 chopped.
1 cup cooked black-eyed peas
3 strips of cooked bacon (more if you like bacon AND save the grease to saute the okra)
Brown Rice (I use Kroger's boil-in-bag rice ready in 10 minutes)
Seasoning- Mixture of minced garlic, salt & pepper, red pepper flakes and oregano.

DIRECTIONS:

Boil the shrimp for about 3 minutes and set aside to cool. In sauteing pan, pour in the stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, black-eyed peas and season to your tasting. Cook the bacon and set aside to cool. Saute the chopped okra in the grease for about 6 minutes and pour into tomato mixture (including grease). Cover and simmer about 20 minutes stirring occasionally. While simmering, peel the shrimp. After 20 minutes add in the shrimp and crumble the bacon into the mixture. Let simmer for a couple more minutes. Boil the rice while the mixture continues to simmer. Serve the sauce over rice in a deep dish bowl. YUMMY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment