Monday, September 12, 2011

Painting Project

Remember a few months ago when I blogged about the desk and headboard I purchased off Craig's List...Well I finally got around to painting the pieces this weekend.


First, I stained the sanded pieces with Dark Walnut Minwax stain. Sam and I had intended on keeping the pieces stained. I decided a couple weekends ago that I wanted "light colored" guest bedroom furniture. The master bed and other guest bedroom both have dark furniture and I wanted something different.


I primed all the pieces with a Sherwin Williams basic oil based primer with a hint of the color paint in it. I chose snowflake grey. Something light but that would still contrast with the white walls and blend perfectly with the John Kollock "Lake Burton" prints that are framed in grey barn wood.


Here is the desk painted with Sherwin Williams latex paint in Snowflake Grey. The lighting isn't very good because I was outside and using my phone...It looks white but is really grey.


I then "antiqued" the desk, drawers, headboard, footboard and railing. I used 220 grit sandpaper on my detail sander and then went back over the areas by hand with the same 220 grit. After I was finished, Sam helped me arrange the furniture in our guest bedroom. I spent $40 on all the furniture and about $60 on the stain, paint, brushes, paint thinner, etc. But I have tons of supplies left over for my next project. Money well spent in my opinion. We plan on getting linens and decorations this weekend and I can't wait to show the finished room!!

Oh and of course knobs for the drawers. I'm still on the hunt for some cute ones in either grey, teal or yellow!

No comments:

Post a Comment